Blepharitis is a chronic inflammation of the eyelid typically caused by an overgrowth of the normal bacteria living along the base of the lid and lashes.
These bacteria secrete toxins that cause irritation, redness, and inflammation of the lid structures. As the eyelid is a difficult area to clean with traditional hygiene, these toxins can build up over time, increasing the cycle of inflammation. We are all susceptible to blepharitis, but it happens more commonly as we age. One of the end-results of this chronic inflammation is a decrease in the production of oil. Oil is an essential ingredient in our tears and is produced by glands in the lid called meibomian glands. This decrease in oil production is referred to as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). MGD is thought to be the leading cause of dry eye throughout the world. In MGD, the oil glands become obstructed. If untreated, this obstruction gradually causes the meibomian glands to atrophy, resulting in worsening dry eye and more inflammation in the eye. Treating MGD aggressively before severe atrophy is both beneficial in terms of improving symptoms, but also protective against future gland atrophy and thus preventative in nature.
BlephEx ®… The first and Only Doctor Eyelid Cleaning Procedure to help Maintain Clean and Healthy Lids.
- Over 50% of all patients suffer from some type of dry eye and blepharitis symptoms.
- BlephEx® is a new, in-office procedure that allows your doctor to take an active roll in helping prevent, as part of a healthy lifestyle, the risk of dry eye and blepharitis.
- BlephEx® cleans eyelids to maintain eyelid hygiene.
- With regular treatments, as part of a healthy lifestyle, patients may be able to reduce their risk of returning symptoms associated with dry eye and blepharitis.
- BlephEx® treatment only takes a few minutes to perform.